The Blog For My Inner Sixth Grader

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Green Eggs and Ham, or, What I Learned on the Way to Work

This morning during my brief but annoying commute, I learned that today is the 50th anniversary of the publishing of Green Eggs and Ham, by Dr. Seuss. And did you know that this book is the fourth most popular children’s book ever published, behind I forget which ones were in third and second place, and The Pokey Little Puppy? Oh, and The Cat in the Hat is not in aforementioned top four? That was a shock.

Green Eggs and Ham was written by the ingenious Dr. Seuss in response to a challenge he was given by a friend. The friend bet him that he couldn’t write a book using fifty words or less. Hah! The rest is history.

The following video clip is included for your entertainment. Okay, it’s actually for my entertainment, but you may be amused. Enjoy!

P.S. I tried to get the Saturday Night Live footage of Jesse Jackson reading the story - but the Embed Code has been disabled. So I had to settle for this. Waa, waa.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's almost as old as Jake...

    I never knew this history..do now, thanks.

    My question was always..Is it green eggs and green ham? Or green eggs and regular ham...?
    I mean, it says "Green Eggs and Ham" so, take your pick. I'm just too oddly..

    I always read the Dr Seuss books to my g-kids, they laughed too. But one G-daughter's favorite is "Are You My Mother?" She couldn't read yet but knew every word in that book. Only the good doctor S could write like that.

    You've amused us both today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched "The Lorax" for the first time a few months ago and was shocked.

    "Unless someone like you ... cares an awful lot ...nothing is going to be better .. it's not."

    A little deep for the five year old who was watching it with me. He claimed this was his favorite movie of "all time".

    ReplyDelete