The Blog For My Inner Sixth Grader

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day, Mes Amis! July 14th is a day of national celebration in France, roughly equivalent to our Independence Day July 4th. What is it with July? Hmm, maybe the weather. It sure does get people to feeling revolutionary.



When I was in in chorus during elementary school, we actually learned and sang the English translation of Les Marseillaise, the French National Anthem. And remarkably it remains in my memory banks. Of course, today in particular I can't get it out of my head. So I thought I would share:




Sing along in English, I know I am -


Ye sons of France, awake to glory!

Hark! Hark! the people bid you rise!

Your children, wives, and grandsires hoary

Behold their tears and hear their cries!

Behold their tears and hear their cries!

Shall hateful tyrants, mischief breeding,

With hireling hosts a ruffian band

Affright and desolate the land

While peace and liberty lie bleeding?

To arms, to arms, ye brave!

Th'avenging sword unsheathe!

March on, march on,

all hearts resolved

On liberty or death.


And here's a little information on the country which is celebrating today:


http://www.countryreports.org/France.aspx

When I lived in Boston, there were all kinds of celebrations on Bastille Day. What can I say, Boston is sort of a party town. Where I am now, as I mention Bastille Day, I get some very funny blank looks. Well, maybe someone learned something from me today. Maybe it was you!

1 comment:

  1. I know we're celebrating here! One of our traditions is to take a day off from beating Mom.

    ReplyDelete