The Blog For My Inner Sixth Grader

Friday, June 18, 2010

Juneteenth

If you are a Yankee such as I am, or even if you aren't, you might not be aware of the holiday that is celebrated annually on June 19th. That's right, Juneteenth! Sounds like I'm making things up (no, my sister does that), but there is a great story behind it.

Although the Emancipation Proclamation was issued in 1862, to become law on January 1, 1863, it was not until June 19th, 1865 (!) that slaves in Texas heard the news. Think about that...

Texas was almost entirely under Confederate control, and well, the Confederacy surely wasn't going to abide by any decree that came down from Washington, DC.

Union General Gordon Granger, supported by 2,000 troops who had come to take possession of the Lone Star State and enforce the freeing of its slaves, read the Proclamation from a balcony in Galveston, Texas:

"The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the
Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves and absolute equality
of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the
connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and
hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and
work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military
posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere."

I imagine there was dancing and singing in the streets when that was heard. Whooping and hollering. Beyond the beyonds. I wish I had been there!

Of course, present day Juneteenth celebrations are more common in the southern part of our country, but 36 states, plus the District of Columbia, recognize Juneteenth as a holiday. Hmmm, I'll bet there are many people living in those states who have never heard of it. Like me, until recently. So now maybe you know a little something more than you did when you started reading this.

One more thing - I learned a new word while reading up on Juneteenth: portmanteau. A portmanteau is a blend of two or more words to form one new word. June + nineteenth = Juneteenth. Cool!

1 comment:

  1. This was new to me....so was learning that Delaware, north of the Mason-Dixon line, was a slave state. My sister taught me that.

    I don't like this blog. Nope. I like the other blog.

    ReplyDelete